Complaint Process

Any time a student has an issue or concern with their experience at the college or interaction with an instructor, the student is encouraged to work directly with the instructor to resolve the issue. If resolution cannot be reached, the student should contact either the Academic Affairs Director or the Associate Director. These individuals will work with the student and any other parties involved to reach a satisfactory resolution.

Any student with a complaint or grievance pertaining to any activity of the College not resolved through normal operating procedures may request a hearing. The President, the Associate Director, the Academic Affairs Director, and an appropriate faculty member will set a date to hear the appeal. The Governing Board of the College also exists as a final appeals board for any faculty or student problem not resolved within the existing College appeal process. Appropriate state and national approval agencies and accreditation council and commission addresses and phone numbers are also available in the office of the Associate Director.

Huntington Junior College is a member of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement.  The National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity was established to develop and implement an effective and efficient reciprocal state-level authorization process for postsecondary distance education. Its mission is to provide broad access to postsecondary education opportunities to students across the country, to increase the quality and value of higher learning credentials earned via distance education, and to assure students are well served in a rapidly changing education landscape.

The State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement is an agreement among member states, districts, and territories that establishes comparable national standards for interstate offering of postsecondary distance education courses and programs. It is intended to make it easier for students to take online courses offered by postsecondary institutions based in another state.

Huntington Junior College agrees to work with the West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission to resolve any complaints arising from its students in SARA states, and to abide by decisions of that entity regarding resolution of such complaints.

Students can appeal SARA complaint decisions with the West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission.