Associate of Applied Science
Be a trusted healthcare provider. Prepare yourself with the skills and clinical knowledge to work in the healthcare field, in both the administrative and clinical sides of the field.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT AS A MEDICAL ASSISTANT
Medical Assistants are always in high-demand and when you complete the Medical Assisting program at HJC, you’ll be ready to work at the side of physicians anywhere medical care is provided – doctors’ offices, clinics, hospitals, laboratories, ambulatory care centers, nursing homes, surgical centers, and more.
As a Medical Assistant, you will be instrumental in helping patients feel at ease during their healthcare visits. You will likely perform a wide range of duties in both patient care as well as administrative areas. Some of these responsibilities can include:
- Assisting the physician during procedures and exams
- Explaining treatments and procedures to patients
- Preparing patients for examinations
- Performing basic laboratory tests, including blood draws
- Administering medications, including vaccinations/immunizations
- Taking electrocardiograms
- Wound care and changing dressings
- Updating and filing patient records
- Coding and filling out insurance forms
- Arranging for hospital admissions and laboratory services
A SAMPLE OF WHAT YOU’LL BE STUDYING
From your general education courses through your core clinical classes, you’ll gain the necessary computer and communication skills needed to be a Medical Assistant. You’ll also get hands-on training in a wide range of areas including administering EKGs, drawing blood (phlebotomy), understanding and dispensing medication (pharmacology), and many more.
We also offer a practicum in which you will work in a supervised healthcare setting, allowing you to put your newly acquired skills to the test.
YOUR TIME & COST COMMITMENT
*Online fees are currently $125/class
Get Financial Aid
Most students need help paying for tuition. We’re here to help! Start by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Then explore scholarships, grants, and more!